Friday, June 5, 2009

Tuesday in Review

I wanted to do a Week in Review post, like I've done in the past after I ripped the idea off from Wendi, but I realized that everything that was fun about my week happened on Tuesday.

So, Tuesday in review:

1. I wake up with neck pain. I quickly put two and two together, where the first two is that I know that Le Shallow Gal had neck pain last week and the second two is that neck pain is an unknown symptom of the Swine Flu and I come up with I will be dead before noon. I email Le Shallow Gal with this news, and a few veiled accusations about her part in this trans-email transmission and she is totally unsympathetic.

2. I have a meeting at the kids' school and ask mama and papa to babysit from 6 to 9, so that I can attend. Papa calls me at 2 pm and says "I'm at your house, I'm ready!" When I mention that he is four hours early he says, "well, in this economy, I like to put in the extra effort."

3. Later in the afternoon, I see papa, who has a background in medicine. "My neck hurts," I tell him, hoping that he will suggest pain relief. Papa says, "when a person weighs a lot, it puts stress on their body and can cause pain." "But I didn't gain any weight overnight," I say. "You may have gained a few ounces and that was the ounce that broke the camel's neck."

4. On the way home from school, my son and I have the following conversation:

Son: Is it wrong to steal?
Me: Yes. Yes, it is.
Son: Is it wrong to steal back?

And just like that, I'm stumped. A guy walking ahead of us turns around, smiles and says to me, "I'll let you handle this one." As though he and I are co-parents or something.

What do you think? If someone steals something from you, like say a Pokemon card, is it ok to steal it back? The responses from various family members was "yes, and you should beat up the person who stole it from you" and "but only if you're bigger that the original thief".

Oh, and an update! I went on neck diet and it really worked! I lost neck weight and now my neck doesn't hurt at all!

I am doing Free Association at Ann's Rants today, so please visit me there for a terrifying peek into how my mind works.

26 Comments:

Blogger Vodka Mom said...

wait, it's TUesday? JEsus, I thought it was FRIDAY!!


crap- I do NOT want to do this week over.

June 5, 2009 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Belle said...

Could you send me a copy of the neck diet please. I recently put on so much weight around my neck, I can hardly keep my head up. Could just be that bloody great Albatros called Husband, but I'm willing to try anything to get rid of it.

June 5, 2009 at 6:47 AM  
Blogger mo.stoneskin said...

My necks been hurting too. There's clearly a conspiracy.

You should have told that chump to mind his own business. You could even have put the stealing theory to the test and steal his wallet. Is it wrong to steal from someone that is a nosy monkey?

June 5, 2009 at 7:16 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

I think it's definitely okay to steal it back. Glad that neck diet worked out - you'll have to fill is on what you didn't eat that day! And your papa is really funny!

June 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger rachel... said...

If you ask my kids, they will tell you it's definitely okay to steal back, they are experts at this.

If you ask me, I would suggest you tell someone in a position of authority that someone stole something from you, so they may get it back for you and shame the original thief for good measure.

But make sure that person of authority isn't me, because I will then shame you for tattling.

June 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Sophie, Inzaburbs said...

Apparently there is an epidemic of neck pain sweeping the nation. I plan to lose both neck and body weight since my husband has taken to replying "you are right, I am fat, but at least I am not as fat as you". I just have to work out a way to do that without cutting down on eating and without leaving my chair. Ideas?

June 5, 2009 at 9:07 AM  
Anonymous Kristine said...

I say yes, but stealing back isn't really what's going on, it's returning said item to the rightful owner. - See, said like that it counds much better.

June 5, 2009 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Everyday Goddess said...

Mo is right. Once again. See you at Ann's.

June 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger LTYM said...

Very funny.

And I think you need to get some legal counsel on that stealing question.

June 5, 2009 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger blognut said...

I would like to know the secret of these targeted body-area diets. Please share the details of your neck diet and pass along any ideas as to how I can change it up and turn it into an ass diet.

Thanks!

June 5, 2009 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Keyona said...

It's not stealing if it was yours. Kick ass and get your shit back.

June 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Pseudo said...

My neck has been hurting for 20 years.

June 5, 2009 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Joanna Jenkins said...

Neck weight! Crap, that explains it!

I stopped by after reading your hysterical post at Ann's Rants. I'm glad I did. You're a hot. I'll be back again SOON.

June 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger *Akilah Sakai* said...

My neck doesn't hurt today, but my wallet does. Can you help?

Stealing back? I would!

June 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Fiona Picklebottom said...

Totally not wrong to steal back. Because, you know, what can they do? Turn you in? Of course, if they're big and mean, you might want to hire a little muscle to have your back.

June 5, 2009 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger MommyTime said...

Stealing back is like doing the original perpetrator a favor. You could report them to the police, file charges, and get them thrown into the pokey for a very long time, but instead, you're just reclaiming your rightful property.

Also, I can say with certainty that you didn't need a neck diet or any other kind of one -- but if you've discovered the secret to targeted weight loss, you should patent it and sell it (after explaining the process to us for free, of course) because that game will make you a freaking FORTUNE and then your son won't ever have to steal back again. He can just buy 10 new ones to replace the one that was stolen and gloat over his neck-weight-loss fortune.

June 5, 2009 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Pop and Ice said...

Steal it back. Feign total unawareness of said situation.

June 5, 2009 at 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stealing back is totally OK, as long as you do it better and faster and more justly than the first thief. That should be easy, because most petty criminals are stupid.

June 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

i would say yes to the steal back. and i'm very legalistic, structured and guilt-ridden as a general rule, so it must be ok.

June 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger anymommy said...

I need to sell my kids in the next three years. My brain can't handle these complicated parenting issues.

Glad your neck is thinner and less painful.

June 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Kate Coveny Hood said...

I think it's okay to "steal back" BUT does that mean that the original theif is given free license to steal again? Technically, he did have the stolen item in his possession before it was "stolen" a second time... And if someone steals in the woods and there is no one to see it, does that mean that they are stranded with no getaway car? I love these thinkers Marinka! It's like philosophy class without grades.

June 6, 2009 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

I didn't think it would be called 'stealing back'. i thought it could be called 'retrieving previous property'

June 6, 2009 at 4:51 AM  
Anonymous sdl said...

You really have to work on your hypochondria skills! That neck pain was clearly meningitis.

IMO stealing back isn't stealing; it's recovering stolen property. Pokemon cards might be responsible for a lot of what's wrong with the nation's schools, though. What a distraction!

June 6, 2009 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Scary Mommy said...

Oh, I'm not ready for such deep questions--- I encouraged Lily to smack a kid back at the playground. Better her doing it than me, right? But re-stealing? Nah, that's only fair.

June 6, 2009 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Estridge said...

Clearly okay to steal back your own stuff (unless you're OJ).

June 6, 2009 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger ShallowGal said...

sdl: She couldn't claim meningitis cause I had already called it. But it's fair cause I had a headache last month and Marinka told me I wasn't having a stroke because *she* already had one.

June 6, 2009 at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home