Saturday, April 18, 2009

It just keeps getting better

I read my friend Ryan's beautiful post, on his one year wedding anniversary. You should check it out because he's a great photographer and the photos are not just "we are so happy" but they have so much joy and life to them that it made me think back to my own wedding day.

I never thought that I'd get married, and the thing that appealed to me most about it was to get my parents to stop asking "why aren't you married?"

Here's my secret: being married to Husbandrinka is the easiest thing that I've ever done. I don't quite get it when people say "marriage is hard work". My internal response is always, "yeah, if you're married to an asshole." Because life can be hard work. In our nearly twelve years of marriage, we've had health challenges, financial challenges, family challenges, children's learning issues challenges. But I never felt that marriage was a challenge. I always felt that I had a partner in this whole mess, and, just as important, excellenty blog fodder.

I don't believe in soul mates and I don't believe in love at first sight. Of course I've experienced both. You know, when I was a teenager.

So it's amazing to me that I am married to exactly the right person for me. And it's also amazing that just two days ago, he and I had the biggest fight that I can remember. Seriously. It was about wireless internet. I wish that I were joking. I'll be posting about that next week.