Friday, August 15, 2008

Summer Dulldrums? Not around here!

By the way, I'm not sure that "dulldrums" is a word, but it totally should be, red squiggly spellcheck line underneath it, be damned. Like "funner". In what world isn't that a word?

Anyway, in case dulldrums isn't a word, I mean the word that means when you're a kid and everything is super dull and you just sort of hang out there, waiting for the time to pass. Something like ennui, but for kids, and that doesn't require medication.

My 7 year old son is fighting it with all his might. This morning's project--holding a pencil between his nose and upper lip AND talking while doing is. So far, he's doing pretty well. He can definitely hold it (you're welcome for the beak, son!), but the talking is coming slowly. He usually drops it by "My name is-". But at least he has a project to work on! When does school start again?

Update: Ok, Wikpedia tells me that it's Doldrums and that it's a maritime term. I need to speak to the Minister of Spelling. Because Dulldrums is so much better. I hope that once Obama is sworn in, he will address this first.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're not home schooling?

August 15, 2008 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I like dulldrums better. More accurate. :)

August 15, 2008 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Vodka Mom said...

He and my son will have to play king of the dulldrums.
And funner IS a word. (Mom's know everything, right?)

August 15, 2008 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Marinka said...

Kate- why are you trying to kill me?

Melissa--I agree!

August 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Marmite Breath said...

Reading about home schooling makes me want to jab myself in the eye with a fork. I can't fucking WAIT for school to start.

August 15, 2008 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger anymommy said...

You don't need Obama. Just declare it a word. Master of your own domain. But, I'm sure he'll get right on it, directly after world peace and before oil crisis.

August 15, 2008 at 7:32 PM  
Blogger Quart said...

I had a professor who was a linguist and swore "funner" was a word, so there you go. It's official. And If Stephen Colbert can have "truthiness" you can have "dulldrums."

August 16, 2008 at 7:39 AM  
Blogger Marinka said...

Vodka Mom--my son would so win! Even if he had to cheat!

Marmite Breath--well, you know that I agree. Isn't there some sort of school where they can attend year-round? Or is that prison?

Anymommy--everything is a Seinfeld reference, eh?

Quart--I KNEW it!

August 16, 2008 at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home